Obama/Chesky Voyager Scholarship for International Students – Apply Here. Applications are now open for the Obama/Chesky Voyager Scholarship. Interested persons should kindly see how to apply below and the requirements.
The Obama Foundation Leaders: Africa program will inspire, empower, and connect emerging leaders from across the African continent through a core set of shared values and leadership skills. Together, they will form a network of innovative and ethical changemakers and positive role models who will be well-prepared to create tangible solutions to the biggest challenges in their communities, countries, and continent.
The Voyager Scholarship was created by the Obamas and Brian Chesky, Airbnb Co-founder, and CEO, to help shape such leaders. Even though they come from different backgrounds, both the President and Brian believe that exposure to new places and experiences generates understanding, empathy, and cooperation which equips the next generation to create meaningful change.
This scholarship gives college students financial aid to alleviate the burden of college debt, meaningful travel experiences to expand their horizons, and a network of mentors and leaders to support them.
Benefits of the Obama/Chesky Voyager Scholarship
The Voyager Scholarship for Public Service includes:
- Up to $50,000 in financial aid: Students will receive up to $25,000 per year in “last dollar” financial aid for their junior and senior years of college.
- Summer Voyage: Students will receive a $10,000 stipend and Airbnb credit to pursue a summer work-travel experience between their junior and senior year of college.
- Fall Summit: Each fall, students will be invited to a summit to help define and inspire their public service journey.
- Network of leaders: Throughout the program, students will be invited to an ongoing speaker series, giving them access to a network of leaders. This network of leaders will expose them to new areas of service and innovations happening in their fields. After graduation, they will join the Obama Foundation’s global community, providing them with Foundation resources and programming.
- 10-year travel stipend: After graduation, Airbnb will provide the students with a $2,000 Airbnb travel credit every year for 10 years, totaling $20,000. This will allow students to continue to broaden their horizons and forge new connections throughout their public service careers.
Requirements for Obama/Chesky Voyager Scholarship
Applicants to the Voyager Scholarship must:
- Plan to enroll full-time in their junior year of study at an accredited four-year college or university in the United States (including U.S. Territories) in Fall 2023. Eligible students are finishing their sophomore year in Spring 2023 and will be considered juniors based on total number of credits earned at their institution by Fall 2023. (Students transferring from a two-year to a four-year college as juniors for the 2023-2024 academic year are eligible.)
- Have four (4) semesters or six (6) quarters of full-time academic coursework remaining before graduating.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent.
- Have demonstrated a commitment to public service.
- Plan to pursue a career in public service upon graduation.
- Be a United States (U.S.) citizen, U.S. permanent resident (holder of a Permanent Resident Card). Or an individual granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Programme (DACA).
Documents Required for Application
- A current, complete transcript of grades. Grade reports are not accepted. Transcripts must display:
- Student name
- School name
- Grades and credit hours for each course
- Term in which each course was taken
- A copy of pages one and two of the most recently filed 1040 form used to complete the financial section of the application.
- If you are claimed as a dependent, supply financial information and the tax form from your parent(s) or guardian(s).
- If you are independent, supply financial information and the tax form for yourself.
March 22nd, 2023
How to Apply
Interested should kindly CLICK HERE to apply